Tuition fees

Higher degree by research students pay a flat fee per research quarter. The fee varies according to the field of your research project, and your attendance mode. Tuition fees are due by a specific date each research quarter.

Full details relating to fees 

Living Costs

Students can apply for scholarships that supports living costs (a stipend) and tuition. Domestic students not seeking a stipend may request a tuition fee scholarship independent of a living stipend. A competitive process is not required for a tuition fee scholarship for domestic students. International students must apply to be considered for a scholarship (stipend and tuition fee together).

Domestic students 

Other expenses that Domestic students may need to consider include:

International students

Please note that the Department of Home Affairs requires evidence that applicants for a student visa have sufficient funds to complete their studies.

Other expenses that International students may need to consider include:

Please also review UQ's policy on International Student Refunds and Department of Home Affairs information on student living costs and evidence of funds. 

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

The SSAF is a compulsory fee that is used to support non-academic services such as sporting and recreation activities, employment and career advice, child care, financial advice and food services. Higher degree by research students will be charged the SSAF quarterly, which will appear in their mySI-net account. For more information about the SSAF see myAdvisor. The SSAF is due by a specific date each research quarter.

Research costs

The School/Institute that you enrol through at UQ is responsible for meeting all direct research costs that are necessary to undertake your HDR project. This includes:

  • access to resources or facilities at UQ or other organisations in Australia or overseas
  • travel to complete fieldwork, collect data, or to visit libraries or other repositories
  • training in techniques
  • necessary coursework undertaken outside the School/Institute.

Funding may be available for supplementary research that is not essential to your project but will enhance your research experience at UQ.